SEDGEFIELD RATEPAYERS & VOTERS ASSOCIATION EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON Monday, 17 August 2015 COUNCIL CHAMBERS FLAMINGO STREET, SEDGEFIELD AT 14H00
PRESENT: John McGregor (acting-Chairman),Terry Cockroft, Maarten Taal, Mike Hofhuis, Stephen Langlands, Rose Bilbrough, Philip Hendrickse, Levael Davis, Steve Reeder, Lilith Seals. APOLOGIES: Roy Phillips, Ed Freeman.
1. WELCOME: The Chairman welcomed all present. And introduced Steve Reeder. He is an author, who lives locally, and he has expressed an interest in local affairs. JM is hoping he can write an article for the Edge newspaper on the activities of the SR&VA. 2. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING and matters arising: Karen Brand monitoring facebook page and SCIC page (point 3.2) Official enquiry on what is actually to be done (point 3.2) SANParks re-location of rain gauge – Cornelius Kop close to the watershed of the Hoogekraal and Karatara catchments (point 3.3) Steve Reeder and JM have attended Ward 1 meeting this year (point 3.6) Letter written to Standard bank with regard to position of ATM – reply of acknowledgement, but nothing else. Considering putting an article in the Edge in this regard 3. PORTFOLIO REPORTS: 3.1 FINANCE: Ed Freeman Not present. 3.2 COMMUNITY SAFETY: Mike Hofhuis Social media have spread the word that crime is on the increase in Sedgefield. This is untrue. Statistics show that it has declined in recent years. Only have pockets of crime when habitual criminals are out of prison. Only 3 burglaries a week recently compared to 9 a week in 2009. Some complainants have no precautions against possible break-ins. Social media writers are not members of neighbourhood watches or SCIC, so do not give information from facts Avocado pear stealers: Charges are being laid against security officer who assaulted youngster. He has been advised not to talk to victims, hence no apology. 3.2 DEVELOPMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE: Maarten Taal Letter from Murray Douglas with regard to shacks built on Dune – prompt reply from Ilse van Skalkwyk, indicating that these are to be removed soon Development of staff quarters on erf 1774: SL says that no plans have been submitted for these alterations – will look into this Hold pound for dogs in Sedgefield: alterations at the Fire station have been completed – cages are being made (SL) Fire in house in Marigold street – rumour that fire engine had flat tyre is completely unfounded. In fact fire department was quick to respond Gravelling in pot-holes ongoing Kolorossi street: derelict house used by vagrants. SL will inspect tomorrow (18th) Desalination plant: To be put on Mayco agenda. Alterations and repairs were supposed to be completed by end of July. Also, cost of operation. SL to follow up. Island Village damage to entrance area road: Report passed on the SL from JM. SL to follow up 3.3 DEPOT MANAGER – Stephen Langlands LD complimented SL on his input and work done in Sedgefield – it had made a big difference to the community in Smutsville PH concurred with this – input to our committee had been most helpful 3.4 DISASTER MANAGEMENT / TREE COMMITTEE: John McGregor Clive Nunns had Tree committee meetings. At last meeting had a discussion about planting trees in Smutsville – must get the community involved otherewise trees would just disappear. At last planning all had died. Find out about trees on Charles te Water drive – someone had chopped down trees – what outcome? PH mentioned that the tree outside the Bowls club that had affected the greens need to be dealt with Erf 1627 – overgrown with alien vegetation – owner to be notified so that Fire department can clear. Wooden fences in the village and above board walk need attention – SL to look into this Flood areas – handed over to KM. Each municipality should have a Flood protocol – TC to bring this up at next Water Forum meeting 3.5 SEDGEFIELD INITIATIVES / SPORTS CLUB: Philip Hendrickse Sports Club lease: At meeting this week decided to do nothing and wait for initiative from KM. Tourism: Now a separate company : “Knysna and Partners”. Still funded by KM and this funding will stop in 18 months time. Need to get sponsors. Slow festival funding: 3.6 PUBLIC RELATIONS: Rose Bilbrough Ratepayers facebook page – to advertise the AGM rostered for the 1 December. Also must advertise in the Edge Steve Reeder to write article for the Edge – would like this to be a dedicated column in every issue Holiday makers attending? Debate on whether it would be worth while delaying the AGMfor the holiday makers that would attend. 3.7 WARD 1: John McGregor Revised delimitations will put Smutsville in Ward 1 and take the island out – will surely result in ANC victory there. Must encourage DA to get a candidate who can compete here 3.8 WARD 2: Maarten Taal Meeting on 25 August. Will note any issues that we need to look into. 3.9 WATER FORUM / SANParks: Terry Cockroft Boat fees: these have been increased by up to 275%. Many objections, and people saying they will not pay at all. SANParks will review only the fees for canoes and kayaks SANParks to talk at next water forum meeting Mouth opened, and all going well. It is thought that 2m for opening is too high – the salt water barrier overflows near to 1.8 m, and the mouth in fact was opened when it was at 1.75m 3.10 SMUTSVILLE – Levael Davis Parenting program being put in place Youth center under-resources, but are doing a good job despite this. Cannot be equipped, because everything is stolen ABET classes at primary school working out well – mostly attend to get matric (every Friday night). A suggestion to sponser a teacher for this. LD to get a cost of an additional teacher Prepaid electricity – disappointment because this hasn’t happened – free meters were promised Some new houses have been erected in Beverley Hills Sports field working well – seem to be taking responsibility for its upkeep. These are not yet officially opened. 3.11 OTHER ITEMS EIA of the embankment at Charles te Water still in progress – in loco inspection will be held on 25 August. Mayco agenda discussed – JM to contact the Mayoral department for a date. Will try to get a date as soon as possible. The Mayor did promise a meeting every 3 months, and the last was due in June, but not held.
SEDGEFIELD RATEPAYERS & VOTERS ASSOCIATION EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON Monday 19 October 2015 COUNCIL CHAMBERS, FLAMINGO STREET, SEDGEFIELD at 14H00
MINUTES 1.1 PRESENT: Roy Phillips (Chairman), John McGregor, Terry Cockroft, Stephen Langlands, Rose Bilbrough, Philip Hendrickse, Ed Freeman 1.2 APOLOGIES: Maarten Taal, Mike Hofhuis, Lilith Seals 1.3 ABSENT: Lavael Davis 1.4 WELCOME: The chairman welcomes all. 2 MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING and matters arising: Comments were mailed to RP the minutes were revised. 3 PORTFOLIO REPORTS: 3.1 FINANCE: Ed Freeman Amount in bank – R9151.34, petty cash in hand – R951.00, Total – R10102.34 RP – we will need about R1500 – R2000 for platters for the AGM. JMcG suggested we negotiate a special rate from Edwin at PnP for platters with Philip’s assistance.. 3.2 Community Safety: Mike Hofhuis - In Mike’s absence RP reported that several of the habitual criminals have been re-arrested - JMcG enquired about the turf thief, his identity is known, a garden service company. Councillor Hart has said that it is a Municipal issue. RP to check with Clr. Hart. SL – this is a criminal case and will be followed up. - Transport Problem at PnP is still not resolved. Dr Stander has sold his property to either Edwin or PnP- the building is to be demolished and the area will become a parking area. The traffic chief will determine the lay-out and plans. 3.3 DEVELOPMENT & INFRASTRUCTURE: Maarten Taal - Hill development – RP reported that he and MT attended a meeting with Lizemarie Botha from VPM Planning. RP has copies of the new plans, however the issues raised at the time of the previous submission remain: 1) supply of water. 2) Sewerage treatment – the new plan includes a MBR plant 3) storm water drainage. No new proposals have been made. RP also mentioned that the development is outside the urban edge and the area has to be re-classified from forestry/agricultural to residential. Plans are for 130 residential plots and possibly provision for an old age residential area at a later stage. The plots vary from 500sqm to just over 1000 sqm but a large number are small which will add to the density of accommodation units. There was a notice in the Edge that individuals must register objections by 30 Oct 2015. TC to draft a letter and distribute to the committee. Members to please get as many people as possible to sign individual letters. RP thanked SL for his efforts in getting things done locally since he has been stationed in Sedgefield as “depot manager”. 3.4 DISASTER MANAGEMENT / TREE COMMITTEE: John McGregor - SL has copies of disaster plan, will mail to RP to distribute. - TC is working on setting up a weather station. RP asks for a formal proposal for the above. TC had concerns from Alex at Montage re older people panicking when it rains. TC had a quote from Russell Withhuhn, a local guy who has set up about 20 weather stations all over SA. His quote is approximately R10000. TC suggests it be put in the Fire Station as that is manned 24/7. CvdMerwe at SanParks is to approve the installation. It is solar powered, there is no monthly fee. At present there are 3 rain meters – Diepkloof, Karatara & Hoogekraal (which is not working). TC has rainfall figures up to 2012. SL – the Municipality had an arrangement with Belvedere where they paid them a once-off amount on a project. He suggested that the same be attempted here rather than applying for the Municipality to organise it. He will speak to the MM once the proposal has been submitted and try to push it through asap. - JMcG is still waiting for trees and yellowwood trees that were promised for Island Village. SL – since Sedgefield falls under Knysna Municipality no plants have been planted in Sedgefield. - RP questions the new extra streetlamps that are being put up, SL knows nothing about this. - RP is concerned that since Louise Hart has been removed from the MAYCO there is no voice for Sedgefield at the meetings. - The dune – RP & JMcG went up the dune and were appalled by what they saw. All over it is just toilets in the bush and piles of rubbish. It has become a health hazard. The Municipal patrols that were supposed to clean up twice per week have not been seen for some time. He has some photos that he handed to SL who promises to look into the matter. SL explains that toilets have been erected but the people have not been instructed how to use them. The result is that the toilets are now blocked and an absolute mess. RP suggested the stairway should be extended with a walkway along the top which will control pedestrian activity and hopefully stop the erosion. He also suggested a second stairway up from Stingray. The Municipality should employ some of the local residents to monitor and clean up the area. SL agrees it is a Municipal issue and the dune must be cleaned up. He will do an inspection as well. TC proposes that a caretaker be appointed for each toilet block., also high lights to be erected at each block. JMcG – on 30 August 2012 a walkabout was done by SanParks and other parties concerned. Suggestions were made then for a permanent walkway along the top of the dune. 3.5 SEDGEFIELD INITIATIVES / SPORTS CLUBS: Philip Hendrikse - Sports club lease – Mark Willemse from the DA met with PH re the bowling club but to date no decision has been made. - Tourism – PH – there is too much politics involved. There are a number of people on the board who are ineffective. Some of the new appointees are working hard. Their next board meeting will be Tues 20/10. PH is prepared to assist and guide but does not wish to lead. - RB – Slowfest was successful but gets very little support from Tourism. The committee meets once a month, the next meeting is Tues, 20 Oct. A Big concern is that there is no sponsorship. PH – sponsorship must be to an entity, not an individual. RB will bring this up at the meeting. 3.6 PUBLIC RELATIONS: Rose Bilbrough - RP asks RB to put notices re AGM up on the notice boards in Town. Also put an ad in the Edge and advertise on social media. - PH wants feedback in the Edge on the Rate payers meetings so people can be aware of what the Ratepayers are doing.. 3.7 WARD 1: John McGregor - The next meeting will be 22 Oct @ 10am. He has asked for minutes of the last few meetings but has not received anything as yet. 3.8 WARD 2: Maarten Taal - SL wants a security guard to be appointed to look after the new sportsfield in Smutsville. The surface has been damaged by fire plus the dogs are running around there, etc. - RP asks for a list of nominees for next year’s election – it will only be available by end Jan 2016. 3.9 WATER FORUM / SanParks: Terry Cockroft - SanParks has meetings every 2nd month. Next meeting is Wed 28 Oct @ Nelson Mandela Uni, meeting will be with Water Affairs. - Boat Fees increase – apparently according to the Water Act they can implement any figure without consulting other parties. - RP has sent a letter to Fran Kirsten and the Edge re the continuing erosion onf the Charles to Water embankment, MT delivered this. Fran replied that she is waiting on feedback from SanParks. - TC – SanParks cover too many things, this is an environmental issue. RP wants to know whether there is an effective environmental Dept at Knysna Municipality. 4 GENERAL - SL – the CCTV camera policy has been approved. It will be a requirement that all cameras installed by individuals or businesses must be registered and approved. - SL – the tender for speed cameras has closed – a new company is expected to be operational from beginning of December. - RP requested all portfolio reports for this year be sent to him by Mon 9 Nov. RP has sent invitation to the Mayor and the MM to attend the AGM – the MM has responded with enthusiasm but no response from the Mayor to date. - JMcG – with reference to the proposed public access to Swartvlei, the jetty at Trails End is owned by SanParks. It is at the end of the road past Lakeside Lodge however the road is in poor condition and would require substantial repairs before being used by the public. - PH invites the committee to participate in barefoot bowls on Fridays in November, 6, 13, 29, 27 at 4pm. 4 Persons per team. - RB was invited by Tourism as a blogger on small town roadtrips. See www.gotravelbugsa.wordpress.com - SL busy getting staff to work together. Hartnick will shortly be coming to work in Sedgefield permanently – in the housing office in Smutsville.
SEDGEFIELD RATEPAYERS & VOTERS ASSOCIATION EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON Monday 16 November 2015 COUNCIL CHAMBERS, FLAMINGO STREET, SEDGEFIELD at 14H00
MINUTES 1.1 PRESENT: Roy Phillips (Chairman), Terry Cockroft, Ed Freeman, Maarten Taal, Mike Hofhuis, Lilith Seals 1.2 APOLOGIES: Stephen Langlands, John McGregor, Philip Hendrickse 1.3 ABSENT: Lavael Davis, Rose Bilbrough 1.4 WELCOME: The chairman welcomed all attendees to the meeting. 2. MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING and matters arising: Terry to send corrections. 3 PORTFOLIO REPORTS: 3.1 FINANCE: Ed Freeman Total amount– R9 220, petty cash in hand – R60.00, Bank – R9 150 We need to finance the snacks for the AGM. It was decided to dispense with the meaty snacks and stick to sandwiches and similar to keep the cost down. Number of present members: Individuals: 82, Groups: 240. Ed to send the accurate numbers to RP so that printing of portfolio reports for the AGM can be done. 3.2 Community Safety: Mike Hofhuis Meeting with KM on Thursday where it will be decided if a PAY AND DISPLAY parking machine will be installed at Myoli Beach for December/January. Mike had had a meeting with SL regarding law enforcement during the holiday season: The SAPS staffing may be reduced by 50% over Christmas – to be brought up at the AGM Drinking in Public places: The proposal is that in specific areas the ban on the consumption of alcohol be relaxed . The area concerned in Sedgefield is the old jetty near Sea Breeze/Placid Waters close to the water’s edge. There is no by-law to control this and not enough staff to do patrolling. Councillor Irene Grootboom of Smutsville has indicated local support, whereas Councillor Louisa Hart has voiced strong objections. The reaction of all communities will be reported at the Ward Summit (30 November). 3.3 DEVELOPMENT & INFRASTRUCTURE: Maarten Taal Hill development – Still in the environmental impact phase: Only after that will the plans to presented to the public for comment. A pamphlet had been distributed by the developers urging people to support the development – good for business. We will object on various grounds including sewage, water supply, etc. when the time comes. Councillor Hart had suggested larger erfs and fewer houses. At the moment there are clusters – 3 per Ha. But in each cluster there were many units. This is not on the agenda for the AGM, since the plans have not been approved. SR&VA have registered as an interested party so should be notified of plans, approvals, etc. The water forum have asked how water is to be supplied. Water resources ARE on the agenda. Desalination plant also to be queried at the AGM. No maintenance has been done since the expiry of the maintenance contract on installation. Water affairs also concerned. Aviemore: Storage units proposal. The Chairperson of the homeowners association also owns the property they wish to develop hence no objection from Aviemore residents. . Barrie Hardie of Sedgemeer park concerned about approval of large swimming pool on next door property. Has asked us to object in terms of noise pollution that will disturb the elderly residents of Sedgemeer. No notices sent out with regard to building inside the building line. An objection to this was ignored. Another issue would be parking. And whether it was re-zoned. Hennie Smit of Knysna municipality has admitted that the approval was a mistake. Infrastructure: Meeting with SL. Will organise for the Christmas period. Noted that potholes were being attended to. Will be given telephone numbers of standby staff for Christmas period. New centre development: Rumoured that a new centre planned where the Pharmacy is located.. It is said that the block including the old Dr Stander property may be redeveloped. 3.4 Public Relations – Rose Not in attendance. Will not be standing for the committee at the AGM. She will however help with the managing of registration of members at the AGM. 3.5 DISASTER MANAGEMENT / TREE COMMITTEE: John McGregor Not in attendance. 3.6 SEDGEFIELD INITIATIVES / SPORTS CLUBS: Philip Hendrikse Not in attendance. Sports club lease to be brought up at the AGM 3.7 WARD 1: John McGregor Not in attendance. 3.8 WARD 2: Roy Last meeting was a discussion of the Integrated Development Plan (IDP). A CD disc was distributed on the Plan. 3.9 WATER FORUM / SANParks: Terry Cockroft Alex and TC: Rain gauge stations – in catchment area for Swartvlei. No cost to Sedgefield. We will prepare letter to the MM: Ask for annual grant For Sedgefield. Purchase and licence for first year. Must have cell phone reception – water gauges work on cell phone signal. Meeting tomorrow about boat fees. National Parks Act allows them to collect fees. Water forum: Talk from Dr Saraya Scheba on the desalination plant. Sedgefield money came from disaster management budget. Knysna desalination plant cost R32m and has produced very little useful water. At the MAYCO in October it was decided that TC should liaise with Mike Rhode on the desalination plant status. TC sent a number of questions to MR, but no response to date. 3.10 OTHER ISSUES Susan Campbell of the Knysna Ratepayer Association had circulated a 101 page document on Planning approvals proposal. This could effectively give carte-blanch to the Municipality to approve any plans presented using a Tribunal made up of members of the municipalities of Mossel bay, Knysna and Plett to deal with objections. She has proposed that an independent legal trained person be appointed as the chair of the Tribunal to protect the interests of affected parties. She has asked us to sign a petition supporting her proposai - RP is in agreement with her suggestions and those present authorised him to sign on behalf of SR&VA..